Sunday, December 10, 2006

To quote Spalding from the movie Caddy Shack: "Double Turds"




Well, I have tried for a few days now, but I still can't seem to figure out how to get a posting on Wikipedia. So my cunning plans to see how long it would take for the "Democracy of the Web" to edit a mistake has not turned out as I had hoped. Oh well, I'll keep trying on & off over time. If for no other reason than that Fat Lorenzo's truly does deserve a mention in an encylopedia somewhere.
On another note, I am stumbling through the initial stages of a new project for the students in my "Life Skills" class. This class has always been a work in progress. There is no set curriculum for it. Last year I began the process of having the kids keep a journal. It generally worked very well. However, this year it has actually worked out to well. I have 30 students, give or take, who turn these journals in to me every Friday, and each one expects a written response come Monday, and they get upset if I don't have a decent response to each and every one of them. The fact of the matter is that I simply can't do it anymore. It has caused me to spend half of the weekend responding...and that isn't much of an exageration. Therefore, since this class has encouraged us to use technology that is what I am going to do. I have to make sure that all of my students know their school codes to get online. Then I have to get them all to set up a Yahoo account if they don't already have one. Then, I will spend one class day getting them all to set up a blog on this site. I will have a second account here that they can all link to.
My goal is that every Monday I will post a single question for the week. Hopefully it will be thought provoking enough and will tie in with a theme for the week. The students will have time in class on Mondays, but need to respond by no later than Thursday. I'm sure that it will take quite a bit of time to work all the bugs out, but I am hopeful. It will be very good for the kids who do not have computers at home. It will certainly be much nicer for me too, since I won't have to carry 30 journals home in my back pack every Friday.

No comments: